View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Ed, thanks, your a real gentleman. I really appreciate your offer of help. Ive got a big decison to make this weekend. I have an opportunity to buy a complete driveline from a 06 Gen3 with only 1000 Miles on it. I already bought a Gen 3 Rear end that Im toying with thats good for 800hp but there's a good chance that I would end up using an IRS 9 inch. . My kit is an Alum Hi Tech (Phoenix) that I bought , just frame and body. Part of me thinks it should go original cause the Hi techs were so close to being a exact copy and Im not wild about cutting the crossmembers of this frame. I already own a T56 That was made special for an FE, but even with an FE engine Id have to cut that crossmember and add one further back for the trans mounts. Then the other part of me wants to do something really different with it. I've already bought many FE parts, all except the block and rotating assembly. I was going to go with a Pond Alum block and Scat stroker. But Its like they say, "Just when I thought I was out...... They dragged me back in" So here I am. Now that Ive got you on the line Id like to ask a couple questions if you dont mind.

1) One the motor location. Did you use the Stock Viper block mount location? How close did it come to where the FE mounts would have been? What were your calculations like on set back etc?
2) On the wiring. Ive got a friend who owns his own shop and suggested going with a FAST controller. I know very little about wiring these modern motors but thankfully he does.
3) Did your engine location (setback) change on the subsequent DVs that you built?
4) What was the lengths of driveshafts did you end up with? Ive heard that when they arent long enough (ie have enough travel)they have a tendency to heat up the ujoints etc and sometimes fail. Did you have any problems with that or any driveline vibration problems?
5) DId you have to make any adjustments to the pinion angle?
6) What were the sizes of your primaries and collectors on your headers Ive seen some SS stepped headers that are supposed to add 50 horse and sound alot better. One thing about these speed merchants , they are not shy when pricing some of this stuff. 3500 for headers alone! Ive decided not to get too excited over the price of this stuff. When you decide to do a project like this you throw all that judgement stuff out the window and concentrate on doing whats best for the car.
7) What suspension did you end up with. Was there any problems getting it to work at all speeds? (ie. alignment gremlins, drifting at speed)?
8) What oil pan did you go with, Looks like Vipers are a rear sump, Ive talked to some Viper guys about getting a dry sump. THey only want 5K!

Ed Im really glad your willing to help. I know if I decide to do this Im gonna need all the help I can get. Thanks again.
Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.

Last edited by Michael4yah; 06-21-2007 at 10:21 AM..