View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Here is the story:

Happy hour Wednesday was pretty much a no show for most of the Cobra crowd. Only 4 or 5 Cobras actually showed up because of the threat of rain. Several of the guys drove their family cars so they could stay dry (wimps ). In total we had probably 20 people drop by. I think as of last night I still have about 3 cases of beer left over, half gallon of Tequilla, Rum, and a few wine coolers and several bottles of wine.

Thursday we drove to the track in and out of rain but when we arrived at the track all we had were cloudy skies. I loaned my truck and trailer to Dean so he could go get Buzz' car to play with on the track since Buzz had to work. On Deans way back to the track my check engine light came on and the truck wouldn't run much over 50 mph w/ the trailer. Turned out to be my EGR valve and I got it fixed on Monday ($573.89).

Ran most of the day carefully and never really pushing the car, lap times were around 1:35-1:38. I put about 65 track miles on the car. Then Friday started off with same weather senario but I put a lot more miles on the car and was turning in the 1:28-1:30 times. Car was flawless except I had a little overheating issue that was self inflicted. Resolved that with little effort.

Saturday David N. and I were driving to the track about 7:30 when I see this Blue Cobra coming up on the passing lane. Quickly it goes flying by at maybe 110 mph and guess whose Strawberry blond hair was being whipped around by the wind. You guessed it, it was Kristen with Sammy close behind. Checking out her spedo I assumed! Then I attended the most boaring and longest drivers meeting I have ever been at. It was run by the SVT folks and they were emphasizing safety and passing rules since we would be running the track backwards. A Whole different animal going clocwise. Lap times fell off to about 1:33-1:40. Had a great time playing lead follow with James, Steve, Larry, Scott, John .and others. I was behind James when his brake line burst and I had taken off my drivers suit before that session in favor of blue jeans, T-shirt and tennis shoes. James and I were nose to tail coming into turn 1 he wasn't slowing down and my big foot tennis shoes slipped off the brake and hit the accelerator and launched toward James. We both were taking evasive action to miss others. This was all happening at about 90 to 100 mph. We both recovered and I continued the session. I managed to pass all but two cars in the field before they threw the checker. All in all it was a good time and I am starting to get ready for Road America in August. Probably need to buy another set of tires and maybe some new rotors and pads.

Lots of people Thursday and Friday in fact the group 3, one of the slower learn the track groups had 80 cars in it at one time. Group 2a and 2b usually had 30 or so in each class. Group 1 had about 35 or 40 cars in it but all didn't run at one time. Then the Vintage racers and Late Model racers had probably 25 or so in each of their classes.

At the end of the weekend I had put almost 300 track miles on the Cobra. Saturday was the best day for track times because 3/4 of the cars had gone to the drag strip. I got to meet a lot of nice folks that I had only known via this site. These events absolutely bring out the best in most us. We shared tools, food and drink. Hey by the way any of you guys that are going to Run and Gun better watch out for Kristen because she is becoming quite good on the road courses.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 06-21-2007 at 01:30 PM..