View Single Post
Old 08-06-2001, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Alvin,

I think almost everyone on this site has had the same dilema.

I guess you have to decide what you want out of it. Do you want a car that just looks good or do you want one that has the performance to match. How much of the work you can do your self and your parts scavenging skills can be a big part of the fun of a cobra and will also greatly affect the final cost of your project.

I went with a Classic Revival basic body/chassis kit and will do most of the build myself. I was very impressed with the quality of this kit and Ian was patient and happy to answer all of my questions (I can talk the leg off a chair).

The C R kit may seem expensive at first but but It should actually work out cheaper than many others. The Diff is expensive since it's the IRS from the AU ford but it doesn't have the extra expense of rebuilding and modifying like a Jag IRS could. The front arms and brakes are sourced from the JAG XJ6 and hasn't cost that much more to do up than a Holden Torana. So far about $1000 to buy the front end and rebuild, replacing nearly every thing with new parts. Bushes and baljoints are not to badly priced. I figure I'll have a basic rolling car less motor, trans and trim etc for around $16K Motor, box and Computer will add another $10K. Wheels and tyres $3.5K. Paint, Trim and on road costs will add another $5-8K. Doing as much work yourself will save you a lot of money since the a cobra build is labour intensive.

In the end you have to chose a kit you like and think you can finish from a manufacturer you respect and trust.

If you are trying to build a Cobra on the cheap you might consider finishing someone's unfinished project. Check the Melboune Trading post as they come up fairly regularly.

Cheers