View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

INSTALLING THE FLYWHEEL, TRIMMING THE BELL HOUSING, AND DIALING IN THE BELL HOUSING.

First, a note from the legal department.

We like to install scatter shields in our personal rides. Since our feet extend past the clutch plate, we like to have something more than a cast aluminum bell housing between our legs and the spinning flywheel/clutch setup.

This information is provided only to let you know what we have tried and found mentally comforting. Anyone contemplating modifying their own scatter shield should read DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY and the important safety tips.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY: As with so many other things in life, what you do here is at your own risk. Kirkham Motorsports is providing this information only to let people know what we do with our own personal stuff. Kirkham Motorsports isn't responsible if you have problems before, during or after this warranty-voiding modification.

Modifying your scatter shield may kill, injure, harm, upset, or otherwise cause problems to you, passers by, pets, government officials, race sanctioning bodies, and others. Please check local laws, race sanctioning bodies, and anyone else who might have a competent opinion before undertaking the modifications listed above.

It is likely you will use dangerous tools to perform the above modifications. Please insure that all tool safety equipment is in place before attempting any modifications. For your own safety, it would be best to hire someone competent and experienced to modify your scatter shield for you.

Lakewood makes a very fine scatter shield which can be installed after trimming. On the down side, the modifications on this page will probably void whatever warranty your scatter shield may have had. Furthermore, common sense says any cuts made to the scatter shield will probably weaken it, though it should still be better than a cast aluminum bell housing (which we wouldn't ever use). Obviously, any modifications you make to the scatter shield are at your own risk.

If you still want to modify your scatter shield/bell housing, this is how we do it:

The first thing you have to do is trim the bell housing. As the bell housing comes out of the box, it will not fit in a our car...or, by extension an original Cobra. The bell housing must be notched to clear the right frame rail next to the starter. Also, JUST AS IMPORTANT, you need to cut the bottom of the bell housing off so it will clear any object you happen to run over...like rocks, weeds, cats, road gators, Osama's buddies, speed bumps, and THE WORST OFFENDER--TRAILERS (this is where LOTS of cars get high centered).

Here Sandwich is getting ready to cut the offending parts of the bell housing off. He will cut the bell housing along the black lines he has drawn on the bell housing. You can get a pattern for doing your own cutting off of our website under the "Technical FAQ's."

Here is Sandwich on the band saw. Notice he is wearing his SAFETY GLASSES! You should too! I once had a piece of crap fall in my eye when I opened a hood and then wondered why my eye started to feel like it was on fire the next day. Well, I had to have the local eye surgeon scrape the crap out with a needle. It was one of the most painful experiences I have ever had in my entire life! On the bright side, the surgeon is now a very good friend of mine and did Lasik on my eyes and now I can see way better than 20/20. He is an incredible doc, Thanks Doctor Noble!

Notice Sandwich bolted the backing "saver" plate to the bell housing so he could save time and cut them together and make a neat cut.
"Fear is the thief of dreams."

Last edited by David Kirkham; 07-03-2007 at 09:18 AM..