View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR in the near future/ Vintage NOS 66' X block 427 S.O., Top Loader, 8.8 IRS rear
Not Ranked     
Red face Urgent Reply, IRS QUESTION!

I found a 8.8 t-bird supercoupe center section, half shafts, spindles,brakes that I'll need for donor parts. My question is, the manual tranny cars came w/ 3.27 gear ratio, the auto. trannys ran 2.73's. The one I found is the latter ratio set-up. All super coupes within 89-97 are posi-trac and I know how to verifty that part by tag on the diff bolt and 8.8 cast on the top of the diff.

I have a 427 s.o. and will be running a top loader. Will this ratio hinder performance dramatically? Should I pass on this one and find a 3.27 ratio. center section? Is it cost effective just to buy the 2.73 ratio and swap a ring and pinion set to the 3.27 aspect? When I split the diff. cover I'm hopeing to see good wear patterns and lash movement and not have to do a tear down/replmt. if it's safe to run the 2.73 ratio set-up!! Thanx guys in advance.