View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsd
Very true and nicely put.

This is a great point too. The restorations done on some originals have also been compromised due to this redefinition of history.

Yes, and I think there are a few key people that give great contribution to this effort here.

Yes, agree. However I was not actually talking about original "owners". It is true that some original owners have an active interest here and some do not. I think it is also true that some original owners have great Cobra knowledge and that some have very limited knowledge. Just because someone owns an original car does not necessarily mean that they have any idea of the correct historical information associated to Shelby Cobras. Certainly many do but some don't. But I was actually referring to a number of craftsmen that worked with Shelby and Angliss back in the day, worked preparring Cobra Comp cars for races, restoring originals, and that continue to be involved with service and restoration of originals today. These are people that have owned various original cars over the years but their knowledge is really not from ownership but from participating in the history of the car. I know a number of these type of folks (including those that built my Kirkham) and for some reason they have no interest in contributing here. I think it is in part due to an opinion on their part that they were there originally and so they know it all and as a result do not need to participate in a current group to learn. They also feel that there is a bunch of inaccurate information flying around and they don't have an interest in seeing that or the energy to try to correct it. In almost every Cobra book published they have pointed out inaccuracies to me. Their perspective is, "I was there and I know the real story. I have nothing to learn and no reason to correct others since it is not worth my energy." This is certainly somewhat arrogant but I also understand the perspective. Anyway, I was more talking about these long time craftsmen types as opposed to current owners of original cars.
In one of the last few SAAC magazines, this topic came up. It seems that the Cobra and Shelby Mustang restorers would prefer not to give up their information for free. They have spent years figuring out what is correct. They would prefer that you spend your money at their shops to get an accurate restoration.

It seems to me that the SAAC concours (sp?) car judges know what is correct and could compile that information and perhaps include it in the SAAC registry. But I guess they don't have an interest in doing that either.