View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

a few years ago, track modified SPF was in a trailer, owner came out, found trailer gone, never a trace of it. I think this was way out west, in CA?

I have a trunk battery cutoff, another one on the rear cowl, a hidden switch under the dash that cuts out the starter, plus the key only turns on the ignition, there is another switch to actually crank the motor. Plus, my car with a race Holley is a trick to start, cold, it takes patience and experience, int the winter, with "winter gas" and a hot motor, you have to watch the fuel pressure gage and know what to do with dropping fuel pressure, and then having a flooded re-start.

In other words, you have to know what you are doing to actually get my car to run.

But on a flat bed, you could haul it away in a few minutes.

So my car is pretty safe from the casual thief. I just don't worry about it. I have often forgot my cell phone, sun glasses and such on the tunnel, come back later, and found nothing taken.

I think to the casual passerby, the cars are very intimidating, as if they sit there, whispering to anyone who would reach into the car "touch me and I will rise up here and kill you."

I park wherever i want, leave my car be, the only thing i actually worry about is some inquisitive child touching the hot sidepipes.

I have had parking valet's move a turbo porsche for me, last week, it was a Nismo Z car he put in the lot, to put mine in front of the restaurant. I always chat for awhile with the valet guys, they invariably are top college students well on their way to a great career. Some know my car well. I tip them well. On prom nite at high end restaurants, i encourage them to allow the young ladies and their dates to lean on my car for their pictures, my car must be in a lot of prom photo's.

I don't worry about vandalism or theft, i doubt anyone could start my car other than me. It it disappears on a rollback, i'll get anther SPF.

In a few minutes, i am going to run up and back to Charlotte in it. I am prepping it for the Grassroots Magazine Challenge in two weeks at VIR, although i have asked Dennis Olthoff to drive it for me. Gonna put the numbers and Grassroots magazine stickers on today, finish the wax, that sort of thing. Taking it up to Dennis' Superformance shop soon for him to give it a good track exam.

Some potent track cars, but i would suspect that very few of them will drive their cars to VIR.

Wish me well,
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War