View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

big-boss,

We install bypassing fuel pressure regulators on any of our own cars. It is not original, but like many original things, they need to be thrown out the window. I highly recommend them as they greatly reduce vapor lock and boiling the fuel in the bowls and making carbs running like crap. The bypassing fuel system is complicated. I will take a picture of the entire system when I can get a car around here. I will do it on the next Miller Motorsports car that we do. That will be a couple of weeks.

A brief description is as follows:

We run the fuel from the gas tank to the fuel filter (on cars that get that option) -electric fuel pump-mechanic fuel pump-carb-fuel pressure bypassing regulator-fuel tank.

Trimming the tunnel is wrong. You have to unbolt the e brake lever to take the tunnel out. It is not that hard to do. You only have to unbolt the through bolt. But, who cares! No big deal. I wouldn't worry one little bit about it...but you can always call next time

Bluedog,

No, we don't level out the engine because we already did that when we made the mounts. We just bolt them in now.

We did mount our new slave cylinder throw out bearing assembly to this engine. It is NOT a hydraulic throw out bearing--it is a mechanical throw out bearing assembly with a lever that is actuated by a hydraulic slave cylinder. There are less headaches with this one because they DON'T leak!!! If they do, you simply change the slave cylinder and you don't have to take the seats, tunnel, (along with the ebrake handle), drive shaft, and transmission out! There are lots of pictures of it on the build blog and here is another one.

"Fear is the thief of dreams."