View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick L,

Well I understand the points you are making and I am not trying to take money away from any one here. But lets face it: Anyone that is thinking of rebuilding their motor themselves is not going to pay Gessford and the rest of the companies to do so. I also mention that it should be based on FACTS!!!!!
What these Machinist do when they build a motor is from trial and error or the changes they make they feel will IMPROVE the performance of the motor. These are there secerts and I am not asking for any one to disclose this information.
Many people here argue the fact that oil pressure should be 100 + psi but when you look in the books it states 45 - 55 psi @2000 rpm fact. Now if you (the reader) does not agree with what is stated, then you are not building a "stock" motor. Many of us do not have stock motors but we use stock specification such as torque specs., key componets within a particular engine such as pressure relief valves in 427's, bypass holes in the block of a 390 FE motor. Even today if you pick up a published book based on How to build a High Horsepower motor and insert information in which is not true I highly doubt the writer will be sued. Look at these magazine articles do you believe everything you read?

In regards to your comment that "not all engines are built the same." Well according to many manufactors that have engines for particular cars they all follow a guideline for what is called factory specifications. If you are trying to alter the specification based on the knownledge of what you have heard from someone, is that not the same as what is posted on a general website.

Again, I am speaking of FACTS not performance enhancements.

I just thought it would help all of us if we had a section where it might list How to :

Measure out your strips
Bleeding Brakes
Temporary Alignment
Adjusting valves Mechanical / Hydraulic
Wiring of a fuel pump and relay
simple tranny fixes

Also, I recall a thread way back where it suggest cheaper places where to purchase parts that bypass "our suppliers" such as FinishLine and Cobra Restorers. I think that is more along the lines of taking food from the families of those business Owners.

Hey,
I am sorry if it seems I am trying to NOT help people but if you are capable of doing the item in the How section you will not pay these companies to begin with. I am sorry but honestly there are no magical secert here.

BTW: As for my motor not in the car...... waiting on parts to put everything back together. I am bored.