View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 10:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyawix
The Factory Five frame looks strong so it is one of my top picks
Not to stir the pot, but I've seen some horrific crashes involving FFR's, SPF's, EM's, CSX's, ERA's and a few that I was unsure of the make and model due to the type of damage and quality of pictures sent to me over the years.....Don't just believe the hype involving round tube vs square tube main frame rails as both style are engineered differently but have the same type of built in "crumple zones" (at least those listed above) that protect the passengers equally. Also, do not think that those tiny little 1X1 cross tubes will do you any good in a crash, same goes for the .020-.030 non structural aluminum panels that you pop rivet in with what else, aluminum pop rivets with a sheer and break force that would really surprise you after an accident. Don't think I'm bashing FFR (Dave Smith and I go back to almost the 2nd month he was open for business), as if you dig deep enough you'll find out I've owned over 15 of them (along with ERA,Contemporary, and SPF) to date and will more in the future (and the others as well).

Bottom line, instead of searching the forums, you need to go out and see each brand of cobra replica in some form or another, make sure you bring someone along who knows what they are looking at, and then make up YOUR own mind based on what you have personally seen and touched. Keep an open mind to everything you see regardless of who built it or what kit it is, as you might be very surprised at what you find out there right now.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS