View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Radio frequency transponders were given to each participant who then duct taped or tie-wrapped the transponder to their cars (Dean, I still owe you 6 tie-wraps to replace the ones I borrowed)! Using the transponders the track computer was able to determine each cars' lap time. There was a small glitch with some of the transponders not being fully charged, but on the whole the transponders worked great. Everyone was able to check their lap times to see how they were doing on the track. Me? I didn't bother!

Which is not to say that the event wasn't marred by driver and/or mechanical challenges. My car suffered from a shock mounting bolt failure (grade 8 bolts fracture rather than bend). Fortunately for me the failure occurred in the paddock and not the track. Others weren't as fortunate. Herschel's GT40 suffered from a starter gear failure. Make that a "spectacular" starter gear failure. When the gear fractured the pieces of the gear put a small hole in the transaxle bell housing as well as breaking on of the bolts holding the pressure plate to the fly wheel. Herschel's GT40 wasn't down for long as he and some friends pulled out the headers/exhaust system, dropped the transaxle, determined the problem, ran out to get the parts necessary to fix the problem, and had Herschel's GT40 back on the track again the next day. I'm not sure how much sleep Herschel got between the failure and repair but the challenge and solution typifies the sense of comradeship at R&G!

If I remember correctly there were three cars that didn't fare as well after experiencing turn one. A fellow from Texas just kissed the wall with his Cobra, doing a little bit of damage to the front right corner of the Cobra. Another fellow went off-track back wards and hit one of the barriers. I never did see the results to his car but I do know that he was taken to the hospital for a look-see. The news the next day was that he was fine but a bit disoriented so they were keeping an eye on him. His message to everyone at R&G was that he was fine and thanks for to everyone that helped his son collect his things and his car. An aluminum Cobra got bit by a cone (in the autocross?) that bent a bit of the aluminum Cobra body. The third to get bit by turn one was the Ferrari P4 replica. Ouch (but it did look repairable to me).

Just a couple of pictures of folks getting their cars ready for the next session on the track, Herschel and his RF GT40 and Tony and his 1000 cubic inch? Cobra.

Some more pictures of the fun folks had on the track. I should mention that although I had a LOT of fun on the track, I was probably the SLOWEST person on the track. If you've ever worried about coming to R&G and getting laughed off of the track because you were the slowest on the track - don't worry! My Cobra has some OLD BF Goodrich T/A's that have nearly 14,000 miles on them. The tires are about a grippy as wet ice. I can pull about 0.6 G on the corners (I have some data logging equipment so I know just how bad my car corners). Next year I'll have some better rubber on my Cobra but I also have to mention that nobody, and I mean NOBODY laughed me off of the track. Nobody came up to me after my runs and said "dude, you're the slowest one out there." I felt completely comfortable driving just as fast (or slow) as I felt safe. Frankly I know that I could take my MINI Cooper around the track faster than I took my Cobra - but I doubt that I would have had as much fun! On many of the corners my Cobra went into four wheel drift - all four wheels sliding through the corner at 0.6 G! Too much fun!!!

Between and after each session there was time for some chit-chat and fun. Nothin' like some bench racing to pass the time.

Or trying on Dean's RCR GT40 for size. Tony fit pretty well. I didn't fit very well. I've simply got to get out to Detroit to try on Fran's RCR 917 replica; even if it means surgery to remove part of my legs so that I fit!

Keith Craft was on hand to discuss engines. I was particularly impressed with the non-commercial way that he presented information. If I needed a new engine, his company would be on my short list if for no other reason than he was at R&G and freely sharing his experience!

And of course the gas powered margarita machine was on site and ready to go!

The awards dinner was pretty darn good. Two types of pulled pork, chicken, beans, salad, rolls, desert.

The three amigos who made it all happen (well, not quite all of it... Sharon, Kim, and Lisa helped!)

I don't remember who suggested it, but Herschel's hat was passed around to collect contributions to the organization that helps disabled vets from Iraq and Afghanistan learn new mobility by rebuilding cars. Jay is involved in the organization. If I remember correctly over $860 was collected until someone stood up and said they would contribute a $100 bill if others would pony up to make up the difference to $1100. I don't know how much was in the final collection but I'm sure it was over $1100! Jay was visibly touched (as were many others in the room).

The next day was the drag races. After suffering a shock bolt failure I decided I'd make a few runs and quit when I started to feel uncomfortable. My last run had a lot of axle shakes and I figured I'd pushed it far enough. I did get a chance to run against David and his big block Cobra. I got the jump on him with a 0.6 second reaction time and I held him off for most of the run but the extra 100 - 200 hp he had over me won in the end!

There were a lot of cars interested in the drag races but others understood that the folks who manage the drag racing track operate under a single rule: if they prepare the track correctly your car WILL break something!

But others seemed to simply like the opportunity to burn a little rubber!

And so ended my participation in Run & Gun 2007. Last year I attended the event and learned that my Cobra's front end alignment was off far enough that driving at 80 mph was an event unto itself! I've fixed the alignment problem and this year I was able to see over 110 mph without concern. On the other hand I've learned that my old T/A radials are worthless as track tires and I really need to invest in better tires. I had some GPS instrumentation aboard my Cobra and found out that my Cobra is hard pressed to push anything above 0.6 g without slipping the tires. (My MINI Cooper with some semi-sticky street tires can push over 1.1 G.)

Two thumbs up for the best R&G yet!

Who is John Galt?

Last edited by petek; 10-16-2007 at 08:58 AM..