View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie needs help troubleshooting...

ok... here's the deal... did some dyno tuning about 3 weeks ago to get the carb & timing dialed in. Did about 12 dyno runs over a 4 hour period. Went to a meet a few days later. Put the big, oval air cleaner on for show. It must've loosened up on the way home, driving into a very strong head wind. Air cleaner rotated ~ 45 degrees & rubbed against hood, not sure for how long (50 miles max). Swapped the K&N round unit back in & later noticed fuel leakage. Some was probably due to carb bowls & fuel lines (A&N) not being snugged properly after the dyno tune. Snugged everything up & seemed to be ok.

But on the past few outings, after a drive, I hear a "ting, ting, ting, ting" upon shutoff. No drips or puddles under car. Have localized it to the head/header area on the driver's side. The frequency dissipates as the engine cools (does it for about 5 to 10 minutes- only on the driver's side). No white smoke when running, oil is clean, no significant loss of coolant in puke tank.

Tonight, I noticed a small amount of green fluid (approx. 1/4 tsp) and am assuming it's coolant, in between two of the intake runners.

I'd like to go all 'round the engine & make sure everything is torqued properly... carb, intake, valve covers, heads, headers, etc. before I blow the alarm whistle.

Where can I find torque specs & sequences for the various components?

can most of this info be obtained from the individual manufacturers websites?

And besides torquing the individual items, what order should I follow (heads, then intake, then carb, then headers or other?

Also, would like recommendations for good torque wrenches...

Here's all the particulars-

Dart aluminum Windsor block (bored & stroked to 427 ci)
Holley Street Avenger 770 carb
Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake
AFR-225 heads
2" dia. headers, fabbed by Keith Craft (Plano,TX)

Thanks-
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600