Thread: Sb100 Process
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

My wife will be in line, just ahead of you to secure a SB100 on January 2nd.

I'm also within the process, but with a finished car, actually a Cobra that was already registered and they took it away (registration, license plates, pink slip) - long story - anyway, my understanding is that you cannot easily apply for a SB100 unless you have a finished car - although that may not be the case - in your case it's all about the DMV's 'view' of whether or not you have a 'real' car that can be registered down the line with sufficient processes already completed, i.e. fees paid, etc. I'm thinking that you have gone through the steps - with the primary step the payment of DMV fees.

In my case, a VIN has been assigned with the next step trying for a SB100 - if that happens - next: lights and brakes - last BAR (smog) - all the paperwork goes to the DMV locally - done!

There are people out there that try to secure SB100, but they don't really have a car - they are part of some sort of dealer network that needs SB100 certificates as cars are completed. That action can result in a court appearance, possibly jail time.

Bottomline - attempt to get the DMV to inform you as to whether or not you've taken all the steps to secure a SB100 on Jan 2nd. Keep in mind that someone at the DMV may say YES, but it may end up NO on Jan 2nd - perhaps double check at another DMV office. In my case, practically the entire local DMV office is ready to man the phones for us - they know my wife by name - another long story. But, in the end - there is no guarantee of a SB100 as only 500 are available each year and they are gone by 9 A.M. if not before.