View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Whatsa- WOW, that was a mouthfull!

I just spent a couple hours reading all of this from the 1st page on. First of all, while I don't always agree with Amy (or what's going on at Shelby) I have to give her credit for being here. Takes a lot of guts to get on here with this bunch.

I was a member of SAAC when I owned my GT-350 in the 80's. I thought they did a pretty good job over there with (what I figured) was a limited budget. I cancelled my membership when I sold my car. When I purchased my SPF in the early 2000's I re-joined SAAC and wasn't as impressed with the club as I was in the 80's. But then again........I was now a "replica" owner.
I DO understand however (unlike Evan) what SAAC has meant to Shelby as far as keeping the name alive (not visa versa). But, I have to agree with Evan (and others) that Shelby should NOT be taking away SAAC's right to use his name, or maintain original papers. It's what they do and frankly, I don't think Shelby could handle it as well (into too many other ventures).

This is just my opinion, but to me, it looks like Shelby is starting this new Club to "legitimize" the new "Shelby's" coming out of Ford today. That's why it's geared towards the newer vehicles (or at least that's what it sounds like). Legitimizing the new vehicles may in turn make them more collectable as well as increase their value (which I'm sure Shelby is hoping will also increase the value of his name). Shelby already has name value with many of US, but a lot of the owners of the newer vehicles ('Stangs) are much younger than we are. Are the new Mustangs being registered? Perhaps Shelby wants them to be and wants to be in control over SAAC?

I think it would be a shame if Shelby didn't use this new Club as an opportunity to unite ALL Cobra owners - original AND replica. After all, they have a replica company building some of their glass cars today, and they had a replica company building their alum cars in previous years, so why can't we just all get along?
Fire the lawyers and use your head CS. -The replica companies are one of the biggest reasons why your name (and your car) are still popular today.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 11-06-2007 at 08:27 PM..