View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Todd;
I have a policy with Grundy,and if you read my earlier posts you will see that I am not happy with my policy and I am shopping around.There can be many arguements against what I am trying to do,however so far all of the arguements adress why this reform won't work. This is the "equal protection under the law" thing. So far the lawyers agree with me. I may ultimately fail,but it won't stop me from trying.Since you mention Hagarty,let me give you my verbatim conversation with them.

Meo you insure kit cars?
H. Yes we do,what kind of kit car do you have sir?
Me: I have a Classic Roadsters 427 Cobra
H. We don't insure cobras sir.
Me:Oh you don't-why is that?
H.It's our policy sir we, don't insure them.
Me: O.K.I understand that but could we talk about another kit car?
H.Sure.
Me: How about a '41 Willy's fiberglass coupe,2400 lbs,350 horsepower?
H.Yes we will insure that.
Me:O.k. then take off the Willy's body and put on a cobra body.
H. Then we won't insure it.
Me:I guess the shape makes it dangerous?
H.There is no need to get sarcastic,sir.
H.I beg your pardon but I am only talking reality here and not intending to be sarcastic.There are no bad cars,only bad drivers.
H.Well we won't insure cobras.
Me: Do you know what instituted the policy?
H.We paid out a big claim on an accident involving a cobra and the company does not want to assume the risk.
Me:What risk do they ever assume?
H. Beg pardon?
Me:Pardon me for saying so but insurance companies never lose money. They get your money up front for providing a service that once you use it,you get penalized by a higher rate. If they have a big claim that they can't avoid paying,they raise everyone's rates to cover it.When it comes to catastrophic loss like Hurricane Katrina, They apply for a Federal bailout. Where's the risk?
H.Goodbye sir.
Todd,there needs to be a standard for each state so that this kind of goofy b.s.is a thing of the past.These companies know nothing about the hobby and that drives the idiocy.