View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure that the government has done a service to the customers of Unique Performance here. The concern seemed to be with removing the old serial numbers and using new ones in possibly misrepresenting the cars being sold. But the customers here all knew that they were buying 1960s era mustangs being rebuilt into genuine, but not original shelby mustangs. Would the customer care if the car had perhaps been flood damaged, if the car is completely stripped down to the body, repainted, rebuilt, etc.

If you think about what Shelby did in the 1960s, he put his own serial number plate on top of the ford number. I guess the difference here is that Unique tried to completely remove the ford number before putting on their plate. Well I guess, that was silly since even with original Shelby mustangs, the original ford number can be used to authenticate the car.

I'm not trying to say that Unique was necessarily running a business properly with the big backlog of unfinished cars and apparently using some cheap parts on their rather pricey cars. But having the government come in and confiscate all of the cars because these re-manufactured mustangs are being issued new shelby serial numbers seems wrong, when in fact that is probably the reason why most of their customers were willing to pay the big bucks.

And with all of the cars confiscated, will the government help the customers get their money back from Unique? Or will the government just fine Unique and keep the money?