View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic
We sailed nonstop from northern Florida to Miami. It took us 36 hours to cover 360 miles. Sometimes it takes less, and sometimes more, so deciding what time to arrive is not for us to make. The wind gods do that decision.

Yes the CG can board you anytime, and anywhere in the world if you are a USA flagged boat. It was the manner in which they detained us, and they slammed into my boat a couple of times in flat seas. Then the treatment once they were aboard. Also $200 cash was missing from my navigation station.

I am all for them boarding me. I have no problem with that. It was their behaviour, and unprofessional approach to my vessel, and myself. They are doing their job by stopping me. I want them to stop boats, and search them....including me!

I was detained for 3 hours for what should have taken 15 minutes. They were busy playing good cop, and bad cop trying to get me to confess for a crime not commited. Finally I got tired of the crap, and went off on them. They drilled their 4 holes for the cameras, and then left. The good cop, and bad cop scene was a waste of their time, and mine. They should have just got down to business.
That all sounds reasonable to me.......did you have to respond to their questions, at all? I'm wondering if, yes: Search OK and reasonable/necessary - but, the grilling during or after the search seems unreasonable, unnecessary and unlawful (assuming one can refuse to respond). In other words, the Coast Guard doesn't have special laws that allow for the questioning of people without an attorney, right?

Now, responding to reasonable questions with no 'attitude' conveyed with them is a reasonable way to handle this, but it seems that when 'attitude' and 'deeds' destroy the reasonable environment, refusing to respond should be a lawful option.