View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel starvation problem - help!

Took the car out to see if I could get it to play up as it had done on me the last time so that I had a bit more time to try and figure out what was happening.

Filled the tank up to make sure it wasn't a starvation issue from within the tank.

Had pulled up to a set of lights and as I went to take off I lost all power but the car would alternately power up and die every couple of seconds or so. I limped home and it stopped right outside the house and took quite some time to restart but it behaved normally for me to back it into the shed.

I had cruised down the freeway for 15 minutes or so without a drama and was driving back in 60 and 70 zones when the problem started.

I'd also noticed my pumps were reasonably quiet at the start of the trip but at least one had developed a variety of noises.

Reads to me like my scavenge pump is the issue, does this seem a reasonable assessment? Comments please and suggestions perhaps how to test and rectify the issue.

I presume the hard starting in the drive was perhaps from air in the lines to the engine until it had redeveloped a full pipe of fuel and then happily run again.

It's a Carter scavenging pump and Bosch 044 primary and I'm also worried that if the Carter has been failing to provide fuel to the Bosch that the Bosch pump might be at risk of damage too.

I'm under time pressure now to be able to present the car to a mechanic for a RW and to Vicroads for its inspection.
Cheers