View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:56 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims
Now that's pretty funny!

Hopefully I can get some concrete info next week...I'll be sure to post my findings.
Your car will be titled and registered in the state of NJ as either a 2007(2008?) reconstructed vehicle, or a 2007(2008) Superformance, Either way your car will be required to pass a safety inspection at a state run facility (Asbury park or Morristown). They will have your car inside for roughly 45-60 minutes, where they will be looking at such things as fuel line and brake line placement, emergency brakes set up, wipers, lighting, and the general quality of your build. After you have passed (I only know of one Superformance that failed the inspection due to a fuel line routing issue), you will be handed your "Kit Car" packet (you did call the Special titles division and request one right), your pile of bills and reciepts for everything pertaining to the car and it's parts/build, along with your inspection report, which you can either send to Trenton, or as most excited owners do, drive down to the special plates/titles division on State Street in Trenton to get their registration and plate issued (on the spot). Engine emissions requirements are a gray area as they will base it off the year of the block, but at times the inspectors needed to be reminded of this. Collectors registrations are the only way to go for your car, and again, the paperwork is the same, but the story you get from the DMV and it's employees varies from person to person. I suggest going to the official NJ DMV web site and downloading and printing out everything you can, stick it in a file, and take it with you at all times so as to cut through the fog some DMV employees seem to be sitting in. Wish you the best with your new toy, make sure to learn the car slowly and not get in over your head. No matter what your experiences are, on track, off track, and whatever you have owned in the past, a Cobra is a HIGH PERFORMANCE, SHORT WHEELBASE vehicle that can and will bite you in the behind if you do not treat it with kid gloves and respect.........

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS