View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajam View Post
For what it is worth, I ran Ford Power Parts roller rockers in my iron 427. The POPs are very similar, and may very well be the one and the same. I preferred the FPP rockers over the Doves because the FPPs have a bronze bushing (like the POPs) instead of the aluminum riding on the shafts like the Doves. I also liked the ball/ball ends of the push rods that were used. I did use the Dove stands/shafts due to the fact the end stands actually tied into the head studs. This was about 15 years ago and choices were more limited back them. I was using a solid Comp Cam roller, .645/.645, 246/246@50, 108 LSA, and either Comp 829 or 839 springs . I ran it up to 6500 rpm on several occasions (as in as much as possible) w/o breakage.

I initially was going to strip everything off my iron 427 to build my aluminum one, and was going to reuse the rocker assembly, but at some point I decided to keep them with the iron block and build it too. That, and the fact I will be running around 650lbs open pressure springs w/ a Comp solid roller .739/.751, 276/286@50, 108 LSA, I opted for the Ersons because of the advertised rating of 1200lbs, plus at $700 set, they were $200 less than the pieces I put together over a decade ago.

IMO the key to keeping your rocker assemblies alive, esp with your cam and related spring pressures, will be keeping the shafts from flexing/breaking. Even though the Ersons have a smaller diameter shaft, they do have the end stands that wrap around the end rocker, where the shaft typically breaks.

As stated before, DSC has a couple again on ebay where I got mine. I noticed he took off his typical Buy It Now price, I guess it is [i]whatever the market will bear[i] now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...015593492&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...211227996&rd=1
No "Buy It Now" choice, but there is a reserve price, which at $510 and $503 has not yet been met. My guess is reserve is about what the "Buy It Now" price was. Can't say that I blame him.