View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That, and the fact I will be running around 650lbs open pressure springs w/ a Comp solid roller .739/.751, 276/286@50, 108 LSA, I opted for the Ersons because of the advertised rating of 1200lbs, plus at $700 set, they were $200 less than the pieces I put together over a decade ago.

IMO the key to keeping your rocker assemblies alive, esp with your cam and related spring pressures, will be keeping the shafts from flexing/breaking. Even though the Ersons have a smaller diameter shaft, they do have the end stands that wrap around the end rocker, where the shaft typically breaks.
One thing you might consider is the strength of the helicoils in the rocker stand bolt holes in aluminum heads if you are running Edelbrocks. I know there are guys running 650 lb valve springs with the helicoils but I think there are cases of the helicoils getting pulled out with springs this strong. You might ask KC for his opinion. I took out the helicoils on the 2 sets of Edelbrocks I have with roller cam springs and replaced them with larger solid inserts (Ez-loks) for peace of mind. One is about 600 lbs open and the other is about 650 lbs open. Actually any more than this and T+D is the way to go.

The small diameter shaft in the Ersons is kind of worrisome. I have a couple sets of the Ersons and when I start installing them, the shaft flexes a lot more than with the setup I had with the thick chomoly shafts and endstands. Gives me a bit of a scare. I can't see how they can be stronger than the setup with the good shafts and endstands. I think the Erson shafts are only about 5/8 inch diameter compared to around .8 or so for the other shafts. The rockers themselves may be stronger than say the Harland Sharps, etc but there is no way a much smaller diameter shaft can be stronger especially when you have the large holes in the shaft for the rocker stand bolts. I'm not anti Erson since I do own them but the shaft itself seems to be the weak point in the system. I recall RobbMc who designed the system mentioned that shafts have broken but the stands capture it so you might not even know of the break. I don't remember hearing of too many cases of the POP chromoly shafts breaking if using endstands. I'm no engineer. JMHO