View Single Post
Old 09-05-2001, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

It was a classic Berkshire weekend: clear, blue skies, warm in the sun and downright cool in the shade.

The rig with GT40 1975, the Scarab and the Daytona Coupe was certainly very nice, but my vote for "best sporting effort" goes to Nicky Soprano for his low key approach.

Nicky drove up to Lime Rock from his home in Westchester County New York each day in an original, wire wheeled "street" GT40. He then proceeded out on the track, raced and then would drive home. Those watching at big bend noted that he performed at least one pirouette looking for the proper braking point at the end of the main straight. His closest call had to be in the esses when the race leaders (a Lola T70 coupe and a Spice Ferrari) came up to lap him, one on the right and the other on the left and in the process managed to take each other out. Nicky soldiered on, mid pack to finish.

Last I saw him, he was headed out, driving the GT40 home, race suit and helmet in the left-hand passenger seat.

Jim Holden

PS: Of course, the Bentley Boys, Curt "Crash" Vought, Scott Hackenson etal as usual put on a show in their GT350's. The start of their races is always a breath taking experience... watching to see who is going to make it through big bend first.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 09-05-2001 at 04:39 PM..