View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 2 different kinds of motors

wrench87 You have a problem. Your machinist is a dirtrack motor builder. The modifications are ALOT differents between a circle track motor and FE. I don't know what class he is running be examples are, the motor is in the chassic at a tilt, the motor could be running a dry sump system, the motor could be using a vacuum pump, the motor is setup for right turns ONLY. Dove machine maybe the last guys running dirttrack with an FE motor. At one time they where very good. weight/ HP per lbs. is the key thing today unless you are spec motor racing. IMO .003" clearance on the rods and mains is way too big unless you are drag racing. I run an aluminium motor and run under .002" and .0022-23" on the other. You need 2 sets of bearing to get the right numbers. This is something that I only see Gessford machine do when they assembly motors. It's on there bill. A motor is a motor, this was the old days statement. This is no longer true. Chevy specs don't work in the FORD world. Go to the FE forumn and see if there is anybody within 200 miles from your house who knows FE motors and has references to call about his work on there motors. Try and find the not personal friends of his. Bottom line is we are trying to help you and not have another motor problem down the road after spending 2-5 grand for motor work that works better on a GM motor than a FE motor. You have asked alot of question over the last couple of months like I used to do years ago and still do. Just trying to give the best info possible to save you problems down the road. If you search FE talk, there are about 15 guys that have motor built, the problem they had, and where they ended up after a 20-30 grand bill. Some also learned that bigger isnot always better.