View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Session 3 Saturday

While we unfortunately missed seeing all the folks at Cafe Brazil, we really needed to spend the time to be sure we get it up and running for a couple of weeks before Austin just to be sure it is all good to go.

The Parkers brought their two Hurricanes by after the breakfast to check on us. Seeing them driving the Cobras on a nice day was inspiration.

Here is what we did:

-finished taking off alternator, water pump, fuel pump, timing cover.
-pulled out old camshaft.....this required taking out engine mount bolts and lifting
the engine about an inch so the the length of the cam would clear part of the chassis bracing.
- installed the new camshaft. Well so far things have gone smoothly, so it was about time for something to be difficult. In this case, the cam pin that goes into the timing gear would not cooperate. Neither of the two that came with the cam would go in, and I had sort of messed up the old one by pulling it out with vise grips. After messing with it for over an hour, we finally filed on the old one enough that it went into the cam.
- installed the "retro lifter kit" - 289s did not come with roller lifters like later 302s, so they need a spider installed in the lifter valley to hold down the lifter retainers. To do this had to drill and tap holes in the lifter valley.
- mock up - Jim was concerned about hood clearance with the taller RPM Air Gap intake . We set the heads, intake and carburetor on......and the clearance was barely enough. Man I was glad we did not have to send back that nice intake.