View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     

Have not heard of anyone loosing their clutch this way for a long time. Not sure why, I am sure the materials used are alot better, but I also know in my area street racing, drag racing is a thing of the past, compared to 25 years ago. Back then all the kids crusied the street looking for a good race or just buring up the tires because it was a weekend. You always heard of someone exploding a clutch, throwing rods through the block, or leaving rear-end gears on the road. But these were muscle care, or rods built by young kids, who could not afford the right or the safest parts, and there only focus was that it was running for the week-end. (Man those were the days). Seems the guys who race today save it for the track and have their cars set up properly for it. Maybe that is also part of the reason we dont here about it as much.

I went through this decision during my drive train build, and it was a no brainer, when I and a passenger sit in the cobra and I realized our legs are about 6 inches from the spinning clutch and if by chance it does come a part the pieces will quickly be cutting me off just below the knees, my decision was made. I have a great chassis with the tranny tunnel framed from steel tubing and covered with sheet metal, and I still felt it a necessary safety precaution to go with e blow proof bell housing. Just my 2 cents.

Safety first for you and your passenger.

Jim