View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Under normal driving conditions

wetdog. There is not problem as long as the car is driven (UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS). This means no visible abuse. Clutches do break, 80% of the time the disc shatters. The pressure plate keeps most of the flying parts together, but not always. Lakewood shattershields are design to keep all the parts in the bell housing, this includes flywheels. There are limiters on the cars you have said so you can't do a 5G clutch drop doing a burn out for your friends. I have seen a clutch explode at E-town on a weds night. 302 Maverick without a lakewood did a 6,000rpm line leave. The clutch shattered in the first shift. Flywheel and pieces came 60 ft into the bleachers. No one was serious hurt. The flywheel pieces came through the roof of the car. After this happened the safety rules where changed and inforced. Clutches are made better for wear and weight today than the old years, ( 60's &70's ) As far as the steel and iron they make parts out of Here is the simple question, Do you like the 2 feet you have? If yes adding $400.00 dollars to the total build is nothing. You need to make sure that the lakewood is centered on the block before putting the trans in. I have 4 lakewoods on all my cars and jeeps that are not automatics. IMO Lakewoods are better than Mcleod bellhousings because of a 1 piece part as compared to a multi piece part. It doesn't matter what kind of car had the explosion. It's more about SAFETY. Driveshaft safety loops are also another good thing to have with your body being 12" from getting the shaft. Rick L.