Thread: Driving in rain
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Steve,
I have put a lot of miles in the rain with my SPF. I currently run the open top K&N, and haven't seen much of a difference in the rain from running the Cobra style oval filter I used before. I have driven from just outside NYC back to Breesport in the rain (over 5 hours of highway driving) with the open top K&N. The engine runs richer after 15 or so minutes of heavy rain, but then runs about the same (I have a Ford Motorsports 351w/385hp). My next setup will not have an opening facing the scoop, or possibly I will try a turkey pan to try to keep the filter element dry. I did have a run once in very heavy rain where I had to keep the engine revs above 3,000 - otherwise I would get a misfire from the rich condition. That, coupled with poor visibility (not just for me but everyone else on the road) made for a difficult drive.

The biggest factors are visibility, getting wet, and traction (not neccesarily in that order :-)

I use Rain-x, which helps a lot. I have run in the rain with the convertible top and my hardtop.

Either way, you will get some water inside during heavy rain. The hardtop is much better, and if I took the time to seal the top to the windshield, I may even be able to stay dry. Remember, these are replicas of a 60's sports car with side curtains. There will be some gaps (door opening, side curtain slide to fixed window, ect), although there are some good SPF tech articles available to show how to add extra seals. I keep a towel behind the seat, and lay it across my lap when driving in the rain :-)
The SPF has a decent defroster, which is a big help in the rain.

Traction. Now that's an issue! Let me just say that you have to pay extra attention to smooth throttle application - both getting on AND off the pedal. I like to drive in the rain for the excitement. It will definately keep you on your toes!!!

Hope to see you and your SPF some time this summer!
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY