View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech cobra View Post
I can also say POR 15 is great stuff! I used it to paint the tube frames for my hood, doors and trunk. It could pass for powder coating. Don't forget, it is not UV stable. If you have something that will be exposed to sunlight, use the recommended top coat.

767Jockey, why did you have new mounts put on the car? I will be cutting the sb mounts off my Hi-Tech chassis and welding on some big block frame mounts. My question is, how do I position the bb mounts in the correct place?
I was fortunate enough to have Mickmate (Nick) agree to come to my home to do the new mounts. My car originally had a 351C in it and I converted it to a FE. The mounts in my car were welded to the round tube frame and had to be cut out, and new mounts fabricated and installed. Nick made mounts that look EXACTLY like the originals. We took a FE block, heads, b'housing and transmission and lowered it between the frame rails, and positioned the engine very carefully to exactly where it needed to be, 1/2" to the right side of the car, aligned to be perfectly straight front to back parallel to the frame rails, the proper height with regard to the original blueprints and double checked against the hood clearance with the intake, carb turkey pan and air cleaner on with the hood closed. The new engine mounts have the engine and transmission assembly exactly at the proper 2.5 degrees tilt down, and all the rest. Then it was all supported with jack stands, blocks and whatever else we needed in exactly that position while Nick measured, fabricated and welded in the mounts around it. We bolted the engine and transmission on the newly weleded in mounts, removed the blocks and presto! - perfect!

It takes hours and hours to get the positioning correct, and only about 1 hour to actually make and weld the mounts. I would highly recommend you contact Mickmate (Nick), as he can certainly fabricate the mounts easily for you and they are exact duplicates of the originals. All you need to do is position the engine properly, trim his mounts to slide in, and have them welded in place. Nick is an outstanding guy, does awesome work and is an absolute pleasure to deal with. Good luck.