Thread: Body On or Off?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

My Cobra is an RMC, it is a totally separate "tub" from the chassis. This point allowed me to put a side exiting exhaust on the car for rego. The rules stipulated that the exhaust must exit past the last seam in the body / cabin area. No seam , no problem.
The other reason for a separate body was ...that I could have the chassis (after mods) blasted and painted silver to my taste. I put the wiring through the chassis. The body would be a "plug-and-play" set up. I heard that there may have been a replica porsche body available to fit on the chassis. Imagine a porsche with knock-off halibrands and side pipes. ha ha . I have fitted and removed the body several times to make adjustments and modifications to both chassis and bodywork. I couldn't imagine doing all of those "adjustments" with a bonded body.
I've worked on a bonded body DRB and the only difference is. . .you have to be a contortionist and have a good set of tall jack-stands!
Smithy