View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ronbo, the "which battery is the best" is an interesting problem, as you point out. Your comments about CCA ratings, and their relevance,I agree with. In another post, a few days ago,about wiring a new Mini-starter, I kind of raised this point in relation to why so many Cobras seem to use slave solenoids, when the built in starter solenoid is more than capable of handling the starter load.

I work on lots of large ocean-going sailboats, where the DC amperage requirements to run big inverters is often large ,for long periods of time. This is where Gel Cell technology is most appropriate. A high output, at a steady rate, is this battery's strong point. The problem with Gel Cells is their really fussy about charging rates, requiring strict recharging voltage monitoring, (if not you get swelled sides when the gel releases vapour, expands into gas pockets, the surrounding silica congeals, and you have cavities in the electrolite). If you are going to invest in a Gel Cell, have an alternator shop take a good look at the quality of your regulator. Gell Cells were developed for the military where the installations could be in any configuration,e.g. lying on their side, subject to vibration, and not necessarily checked for fluid levels.
The "absorbed glass mat" battery, AGM,kind of goes back a step to combine the effeciency of flooded batteries, with the ability to take a wider range of charging voltages, without damage.

Thanks for opening an interesting thread.

(Working on aquiring my Unique build. Sorry Comish, without you, its just not the same )