View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

What are your goals? A cam that large is a lot for 427ci. It will be fussy at low rpm's and have a very high powerband with a sharp torque curve.

Some guys like that, some guys don't. But expect for the peak hp to be around 6800 (wild guess) and the torque to peak very high as well.

As a comparison, my 428FE that I assembled made 533hp @ 6500 rpm with stock out of the box Edelbrock heads and a 248/254 solid roller camshaft. Max torque was at 5400. With more cam and better heads, you're looking at a high hp peak.

If you're gonna go that route, you will need an intake to match, plan for a Dove single plane intake, a Tunnel Wedge, or a Victor FE. I'd also shoot for a low rearend ratio.

Don't expect it to be a city driver....

BTW, with a large duration cam, you *may* be able to get away with 10.5-11 compression with iron heads, but it's really iffy. Even with a .040" quench and the right timing, you may have to run a pump/race gas mix, or a race fuel altogether.

If it were my engine, I'd go for something that's still fun to drive, but something that would give you good street manners down low. You don't say what your heads flow, but a good flowing head with a matched cam and intake would still make excellent horsepower and still have a good broad torque curve.

I'd match it up with a Performer RPM and a hydraulic roller cam (unless your block won't work with juice stuff) with about 238-242 duration, and run about 9.5:1 compression.

Priobe, contact me off site about the camshaft. I may be able to help you out and save you a few bucks.

Last edited by blykins; 03-12-2008 at 02:40 PM..