View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Phil,
Webers open another whole can of worms. It's too bad that one or two here can't be more like Rick Lake and offer advice without admonishment. Sometimes the haughty self righteous attitudes a very few display amaze me. I thought these cars were all about fun.

I am not an engine builder by any means. I can tell you that I have corresponded back and forth with Keith Craft many times on the subject of Webers, and have finally made the decision to proceed without them. That in no way means that you're making the wrong decision to use them - it's just not a scenario that I want to pursue. The reasons I abandoned the Weber option were twofold. First, Keith made it very clear that a Weber setup and a 4bbl setup on the same exact engine required two different cam profiles in order to optimize either induction setup for maximum driveability and power output. Once you have both setups optimized for both the Weber setup and a 4bbl setup on the same engine, the Weber setup will be 25 - 35 HP shy of the 4bbl setup. That is one disadvantage of them.

Another, as you already know, is the complexity of dialing them in and keeping them there. In the end I just don't want to deal with that. The biggest draw to Webers is the fact that there's noting out there short of Rick Lake's amazing stack injection setup that looks as awesome under the hood as a full brace of Webers. To me, and I suspect to you as well, it's the ultimate eye candy for these cars. The best combination of power output, driveability, ease of tuning and visual appeal, far and away, is the stack fuel injection setup like Rick has. Unfortunately, I'm about $9K shy at the moment!

Cobras in and of themselves are not "intelligent" car choices. Rather, they're visceral, the fulfillment of lifelong dreams in most cases. Trying to make "intelligent" choices with them is almost an oxymoron. You want a smart car choice? Buy a Prius.

We do the best we can, go with our wants and emotions, trying to balance that with intelligence, and usually all end up where you are now, trying to make sense of a situation that by definition really makes no sense at all. It's all just about what you really want in the end. What you want here likely makes no sense, but that's OK. In the end, it's just all about making yourself happy. If the Webers do it for you, then go for it! Have fun, that's what these cars are all about. Best advice I can give you is call Keith Craft, ask him about your cam and what he would recommend, make the choice and live with it.

Last edited by 767Jockey; 03-16-2008 at 10:04 AM..