View Single Post
Old 09-17-2001, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default Ignition Control Box

I received my repaired box back from MSD (box #2) so this would be the 5th actual rewiring and attempt to get the system to run reliably i.e. more than the 20-30 miles that the systems have lasted (MSD pro billet distributor, blaster 2, 6AL, Ford 427). My mechanic wired the heavy guage power directly to the MSD noise filter and then directly to the battery. The heavy black goes directly to the (-) side of the suppressor and then to the frame. The thin red wire was then jumped to the battery to try to get the coil to send a sparc. NOTHING. so any talk about voltage spikes doesn't apply here. The MSD tech said it's possible then that the unit was damaged in shipping. I asked him if he was aware that the units they send back are sent in a cardboard box exactly the same size as the control unit i.e. no insulation whatsoever. We are going to go to a stock ford electronic ignition control unit (Prestolite??) that will work with the rest of the stuff I now have under the hood. Anyone work with this unit before or can recommend a durable control unit?