View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is nice.

I built up a 99GT a couple of years ago. Of course I had to pick the most difficult route possible. At the time, there were really no aftermarket options or the 2V intakes except the bullit and of course like most things Ford, they changed a thousand other things when they did the Bullit model.

Anyway, I was going to build up my 2007 Mustang, so I bought the engine (5.4 with forged crank, billet rods, billet pistons, 8.8:1, ported/polished 4V Navi's with built valve train and stage III Comp cams, 7 quart canton with windage tray.....the works.)

SO then I come across this guy that is able to widen the 03 cobra intake to match the Navi setup. So I have a custom widened 03 cobra intake (that still accepts the Eaton), with a modified front cover (to match the 03 pulley posts and such). Then I bought a 3.4L whipple to go on top.

I have a PA supercomp with transbrake and reverse manual v-body, stallion 3600 stall with SFI housing and twin oil coolers, lines, guage, etc with a Denny's custom drive shaft.

I had bought an 03 cobra fuel tank with twin GT pumps, wheels, tires, front suspension, Venom 2000 computerized nitrous kit, etc, etc.

All these wonderful goodies and then I fell in love with the idea of building a cobra. What a genius am I.

So now I get to go through all the agony of trying to figure out how the steering knuckle is going to clear the oil filter, and how I'm going to get headers that will exit and line up properly and how I'm going to get a custom hood fabbed to clear this monster and how I'm going to convince the ECU that the PATS isn't malfunctioning, etc, etc, etc.

After it's all done, it will be badass, but looking back, I should have just started with a built 302 if I was going to go this route.

Hell, the cams alone for this setup are $1000 shipped. (There are 4 of them). Crazy stupid. Injectors and fuel rails and coil on plug, etc are so much more expensive than an edelbrock and a demon....and then I have to pay someone $80/hour to tune the thing.

If you were considering a modular setup, don't do it unless you get the engine for free. Even then.....consider it very carfully, it may be more trouble than it's worth (or than you realize).