Thread: 351W Tuning
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Update:

This past weekend I fiddled with the Webers and thought I had found the right combo…I First changed the idle jets to 65 and took the car for a short test. On deceleration, I had backfiring, so I turned the idle adjustment screws out and additional ¼ turn and the backfiring went away. The car ran well under heavy acceleration and also around town. When I took it on the hi-way, however, the problems started. Right at 2000-2100 rpm I got popping and sputtering through the carbs (stacks). Also, if I had to increase throttle to pull a hill, I would get the popping. I took the car back home and installed the 60 idle jets, re-synched the carbs (idle at 1200rpm) and turned the idle screws out an additional 1/4 turn (1 ½ total). Again, the car ran great around town and under heavy acceleration, but the popping and sputtering was still there at the same 2000-2100 rpm. Before I started all of this the car was running very rich (70 idle jets) and fouling plugs around town and left huge black clouds on acceleration. There was also a very slight stumble at around 1800-2000rpm, but at hi-way speeds the car ran well. I know I am close…Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gun Doc