View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default SA vs M Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
Why are helmets ment for cars so much more expensive than DOT approved motorcycle helmets?
The justification for the high price seems to be:

"Fire resistant." or "Roll-Bar impact tested." with a "How much is your head worth?" thrown in for good measure.

IMHO, the reality for the prices being so high is supply and demand. If every helmet required an SA rating, the economics of producing them would be better; and the competition among manufacturers would be even more fierce; which drives the prices down. There just aren't as many helmet wearing race car drivers as there are motorcyclists and if you can turn a better profit selling into a smaller market, why not...whatever the market will bear.

As far as usage in a Cobra, it may seem like we're better protected than a motorcycle except for the fact that most of us have a steel bar behind our heads with a low-back seat, a steel wheel in front of our faces, no airbag, no collapsing steering column, and want to live to talk about it. I don't know about you guys, but if it was socially acceptable I'd prefer to wear a helmet on the STREET at times. I'm certainly willing to get an SA helmet if the conditions merit it; and I believe they do. Please check the condition of your belts and wear shoulder harnesses too. I'm not so certain the face shield on a helmet will withstand a direct impact into a wheel. Additionally, I've gotten rocks in the face/eye on the street...closed face is what I'm buying.