View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2387, 427 W, Webers
Not Ranked     
Default get an SA2005 you can use it longer!

Most sanctioning bodies will have a last model rule that allows the last model avaiable to be used in current comptition. The SA ratings are updated each 5 years and the 2010 models will not be available for about 3 years. They don't come out in the year that they are rated usually. Most companies will start selling SA 2010 helmets in 2011. If you get an SA 2005 it will be good for several years. If you get an SA 2000 it may be outdated (illegal) in only 3 years. You should replace a helmet each 5 years as the padding and nomex start to break down over time with sweat and use. You do want a helmet that fits snug and the recommendations to try them on in person are very good advise. You should also choose a light weight helmet it makes a difference over a long weekend and over time the fatigue is significant. You may want to consider the Carbon fiber or kevlar shell helmets for the weight savings. You can fit a HANS to about any new helmet as far as I have seen. You dont need to have the loops (you have to tap in a special attatchment for a HANS) I have done this myself so I know. It is not hard the HANS comes with very specific instructions and all the hardware you need. Some helmets may be HANS ready but it is not a huge advantage. I highly recommend using a HANS as well. Get used to it early on and it won't be a pain later adjusting your routine getting strapped into the car. I have been impressed with the construction of BELL, SIMPSON, and IMPACT helmets and they seem to be reasonably priced. Many other companies make awesome helmets as well. You can go to Helmetcity.com and see alot of SA rated helmets on their website. Good luck, and be safe!