CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default Guardsman Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
Mike, this makes perfect sense, as there are so many various hues all claiming to be "Guardsman Blue" while, as we all know, they are not all that close to one another. Maybe all that salt air they were exposed to on the ships coming over altered them???
That and maybe the tea additives the British painters/formulators were exposed to!

Jim, identification of the original manufacturer is complicated because AC switched from nitrocellulose to acrylic laquer during production and some cars done in acrylic laquer had a tag affixed to the footbox that identified the supplier as Rinshed Mason Company. I believe my car was done with ICI cellulose, however, and found some of the original paint in the correct obsolete paint system from the original manufacturer and currently waiting for a sample. I plan on getting enough of it for future potential repaints, but getting it over here is proving to be a bit of a challenge, especially since that old style paint is illegal for high volume distribution (won't be able to get it at all shortly) and air transport requires special licensing. I understand it can go by postal surface ship, but I'm waiting to hear back from a contact in the UK who is supposed to be working on it (he hasn't been responding recently though??). As with everything else with these cars, if you want it done right it's a pain in the butt.....