View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     
Default No Antifreeze Please.

Ok, here we go again. I guess we are done with helmets?

Sorry for not being clear regarding “coolant.” We’ve made this clear in the past but can understand why there would be a question.

Let me clarify the coolant topic and some general feelings here:

For those folks NOT driving their cobras from colder climates, where antifreeze is a way of life, it’s recommended that All Groups NOT run antifreeze as coolant at our Track Day Event. Please keep in mind, this is a NOVICE event for the most part, so I would like to offer some leniency to folks driving, their cobras, long distance from colder regions only. If the car & driver are that highway worthy, they will be fine at the track. There are track clubs that allow antifreeze in novice/open track groups but it’s never advised. Newer production cars, as Jamo explained so clearly, are more predictable and factory prepped. Cobras are a crapshoot. We have no idea what you’re driving and how it will behave on the track so don't risk it. Again, this is a Novice Event. No One will be driving balls-out or anywhere near that. Just don’t be the one that overheats, blows a hose, and shuts the event down for 20 minutes. Also, as mentioned, antifreeze offers much less heat transfer than water anyway. So if you don’t need it (freezing conditions), don’t use it.

We would expect the more experienced drivers to know that “coolant” does not mean antifreeze when referenced to a race track. Along with all the realities of the stuff mentioned, when someone spews it all over the track, the course shuts down, pain in the ass to clean up, and costs everyone track time. That’s not fun. The stuff usually comes out in front of your car and heads straight for your tires. Before you can get your mouth open, you go from grip to zip, and so does everyone behind you. And that’s no fun either.

If you are conscientious about the condition of your car, checked everything and fixed what needed fixing, there should be no problem, ok? Hoses, clamps, and all fluid containment is a very important part of teching your own car. You know your car’s tendencies better than we do so try to think along those lines in preparation for the track. If you have concerns, let us know. If you see your temp gauge going up on the track, for heaven’s sake, come into the pits. We can help you. We had a guy last year blow slime on the track which caused several spins.

We are simply asking folks to please be responsible for their equipment. We are out on the track together, like a Family. We trust and look out for each other. That is how it’s done and how it should be done.

My recipe:

Pull lower radiator hose and drain.
If you want to flush with water, good. If not, ok too. Should change coolant regularly anyway.
Reconnect hose.
Add 1 bottle of WW.
Fill system with “distilled” water, warm up, burp, add, done.
Your motor will run cooler and thank you for it.

As for other related tech issues, Jamo covered them with extra emphasis on having FUN and being SAFE. There is a point where too much information causes anxiety for a new driver. Some people actually invent stuff to anxt over. I don’t want anyone feeling stressed-out like they need to, or should, know every possible mechanical nuance or track scenario. Let us worry about that. Most of this is common sense with simple guidance.

Finally, here’s a perfect example of a well-prepared car & driver on course. Please use this picture as a reference. Seriously, if you were the driver seen here, would you have any questions about your car’s condition, preparation, or your safety equipment? Let us know if you do.

Thanks and talk soon, John