Thread: Serpent Express
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Heck, between my dad and my buddy it surprises me why they are not running for president and vice president, they have all the answers LOL!!!

You will have zero issues. You have not pulled a trailer like this before it is seamless realative to the tow vehicle and incredibly stable, zero walking even in high winds.

Mileage was as follows
1) No trailer 78-80 mph = 19.5 mpg over 1400 miles
2) Trailer empty 65-73 mph = 17.0 mpg over 250 miles and went through a ton of tiny little stop and go towns from three rivers to dynamic, should have stayed on the intersate. Be careful with mapquest directions.
3) Trailer loaded 65-73 mph = 15.5 mpg over 1100 miles. I did keep it in third 95% the way and not overdrive and was turning about 2400 rpms. If I put it in "D" it would drop to about 1700 rpms and pulled without any issues except on steep inclines and then it would down shift, I had the cruise control on. I was told after a transmission failure to never tow in "D" always in third and being my brothers truck I wanted to handle it with care. Throttle response in third was incredible, I climbed all but one mountain and stayed at 68 mph or above. When I hit 10 west where it was flat I know I could have easily put it in "D" and gone 75 mph but everthing was going so well I did not want to change anything.

Weather was perfect the entire trip, no rain, mid 70's the only time I got high wind was on I-10 comming back

One thing, and I will try to remember tomorrow, when raising the jack handle turn it all the way up until you feel resistance, when I first started I just raised it high enouth to ensure it would not hit anything and when I checked 200 miles later it had turned itself down. Once I turned it all the way up until resistance never an issue again.