View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Call Jon Kaase for numbers

jetsbaby I am not a pro with 429-460 motors. Jon would be the one to call and ask about the MAGIC numbers. For a street motor the clearances are geting smaller and the oil is getting thinner. If you are running a HV pump, and not knowing the Lima motor problems, I would go with a .0021-.0023 on rods and .0025 on mains. Find a blueprint builtup for a 460 and see what they are using. IMO the most important thing would be to add an Accusump to the car and oiling system. Use this as a per oiler before starting the motor and if you try a little autocrossing. 80% of engine wear is caused from dry starting motors. Get a bottle of EOS and on breakin run the motor at 2,000 rpm+ and keep the rpm at a steady speed. As the motor breaks in the rpm will go up, don't change the rpms. Good luck with the motor. Rick L. Ps old blue print numbers from the early 70's are .003" and .003" on rods and mains. this is for a RACE MOTOR for blue printing ONLY. That's loose IMO. The motor only runs 600 miles and 7,800 rpms. Also alot thicker oil and additives.