Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2370, Dark Silver, Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Who is Nisonger ??
Nisonger Instruments :: the exclusive Smiths U.S. Warranty & Service Center since 1949

Nisonger makes (I think) and repairs Smiths instruments for older cars of all kinds. I have had some dealings with them both in and out of warranty, and I can tell you that they are a class act - helped me with troubleshooting and patiently answered questions. I think they probably would be willing to discuss your voltmeter questions. They have rebuilt a couple of my temp. gauges, both in and out of warranty, and also replaced the original speedometer (which never worked properly from the get-go) under warranty. Apparently they code the date of manufacture somewhere inside the instrument and base warranty coverage on that. Imagine my surprise when they replaced the speedometer, after I had been refused help by the dealer, free of charge except for shipping, which I happily paid. They are located in New York not far from NYC, I believe.

Next time I need a temp gauge repair, I think I'm going to use their electric replacement gauges. They are Smiths, but don't have the same dial faces as the "steam" gauges. It's very important to get a vibration-free mounting for those tubes that connect the sensor bulbs to the gauge, and they tend over time to develop leaks. They guys at Nisonger said to be particularly meticulous about the tubes between the back of the gauges and the firewall - make sure they are well-secured.

I have heard that individual Superformance dealers have responsibility for a certain dollar amount on warranty claims, and thus some may be very reluctant to make any repairs if they can avoid it. I simply take my business elsewhere now, after their sorry performance on several items where they could/should have helped. UPS is your friend! I'm VERY happy with the car itself and the Roush engine as well.

Let me know ahead of time if you're going to be in Wickenburg - I'll meet you somewhere if I'm in town.

Tom