View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Ford big block engine of choice for racing is the 460 stroker engines, if it is built all aluminum (block, heads, etc...) it will weigh alittle more than the original 289 small blocks. The 460 engines have been the engine of choice for racing for the past 30 years, with many advances in head technology and other features. You can get a very easy 600 + reliable horsepower out of a 460 stroker engine with a single 4bbl. carb.

Nothing sounds or runs like a big block!

You can get the job done with either a small block or big block, however it is a myth that the big block cars are that much harder to drive.

When I test drove a small block 485 horsepower stroker engined car at the Superformance dealership in Ohio, I felt like I could have driven the car fast through the turns with a cell phone in one hand while changing radio stations (if there was a radio...) with the other. When I drove the 460 485 horsepower engined Superformance car even though it drove as easy as any modern car, I did feel I had to pay attention more than with the small block version (this was not an aluminum block engine...).

My feelings were even though the small block car was easier to drive (and faster than $hit), the big block car was faster. I wasn't buying a car that my girlfriend could run through the corners fast, I was buying a car that with a little effort (and some balls..) I would be able to hall some real a$$ with.

I chose a custom built (non aluminum block) 520 c.i. big block engined Cobra, and it get's around pretty good!

What ever choice you make, good luck...