View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

heres several posts all in one group sorry i didnt include the org poster i didnt copy that
each separated by a -----

----
The alum 390 was in Shelby's shop by June of '64, which I'm quite sure was before any of the 427 iron sideoiler blocks were cast, so the iron 427 sideoiler was really more of a copy or evolution of the alum 390 than the alum 390 a copy of the sideoiler 427. The alum 390 block was made off modified 1964 427 centeroiler tooling, evident, along with some other tell tale attributes of the '64 427, as the Ford engineers didn't even bother removing the C4XX part number from the patterns and just added the SK number in a different spot (the first iron 427 sideoiler had a C5 part number).

I heard the sideoiler upgrade to the FE was developed as part of the SOHC program (the SOHC design effort did overlap the alum 390). Regardless of which project it was part of, the Ford engineers obviously thought incorporating this new sideoiler concept into the alum 390 would be a good opportunity to put the idea into action. As a result, the alum 390 was the first sideoiler FE.

----

On the alum 390, there were only 2 made according to Pete Brock, the technician at Ford who assembled them, and from a couple other sources, so trying to use the argument of whether it's the same block out of that car is a moot point (the other one was supposedly blown up).

----

The only other car that ran the alum 390 was 3002 (actually delivered with it)

-----

Ford made at least 2 possibly a few more.
The reason for them in the first place was when Miles stuffed the Iron block Iron head motor into the 289 #2196 and stuffed it into a tree.

Miles said he needed light weight to make the leaf spring car turn so Shel asked Ford for aluminum. Since the sideoiler was just the new latest and greatest, they cast aluminum and sleeved it. Hence 390 size which had lots of RPO items on the shelf.

2196 got one of the alloy motors with the 58 webers and 3002 got the single 4 version.
I am aware of the original flip top motor being alive and well after its failure and repair to a non thrust side. Sadly it's not in the flip top which sports a new Shelby Aluminum Block.

-----

The 3002 motor is presumed long gone.

-----

any other info out there? also it said in the book 58mm webbers

what 58mm webbers is he talking about...

Weber 58mm twin-choke horizontal carburetors ~1961 car

Weber 58 DCO/A3 twin-choke sidedraft carburetors ~1954 car

found about those two in those yeared cars
are there other 58mm webbers?

Last edited by tinmansunbeam; 06-09-2008 at 11:28 PM..