Thread: Oil Filters
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oil lines and filters

mk2gt40 Ross not sure if you are running a cobra or GT car. If you are going to run on the street #10 lines, a HV oil pump, oil cooler and almost any oil filter that have a filtration of 20 microns is OK IF you let the motor and oil warm up a little before driving the car. For Racing with or without a dry sump system, #12 lines through the whole system and running a 2 quart oil filter like Mobil 1. I like the design of an Omni sandwich oil filter but 20 or less microns is too small, IMO for racing and possible cause airation of the oil. This filter allows you to do a quick check for any metal damage in your motor without cutting a filter apart. I have seen a few hard cord racers running Baldwins and Mobil 1 There are good for 200+ lbs of burst. Use the bigger lines if possible to off set all the connections of fittings. Try and get hi flow fittings if possible. Every fitting causes a small loss of flow and down in oil pressure. You have to remember that the oil pressure you see on your gauge IS NOT what is getting to the #7 and #8 rod bearings as far as flow. There is a differents between static pressure and flow pressure, IMO. I do run a fram filter in my cobra part time. I use a accusump as a preoiler for the motor before startups. I don't drystart my motors. IMO this prevents alot of damage to the bearings and rotating parts. No metal on metal rubbing. Rick Lake