Thread: Brake ID
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omathisen View Post
The calipers are Sierra (I assume from Sierra racing and not GMC?). But I have not been able to find a model number. In the ERA manual, at least the one I have, reference is made to GM calipers.
Do they look anything like these below? There are several Sierra XL calipers based on the rotors, but they're all about the same. If you have ten years on the same pads, they probably need a change. Just pull the cotter pins out and remove and replace the pads and see if your problem goes away. It's a ten minute job. You might have to push the pistons back in a little bit. I have a tool for doing that but you can use a piece of wood just as well. Put a little anti-squeal goo on the back of the pads (NOT the front where they touch the rotor). This is a really simple job and it's almost impossible to do it wrong. You might just take your old pads and cotter pin to your local racing store and they will set you up with new pads and pins and you'll be all set.