View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh boy. The guy's name really is Yogi. And I thought y'all were kidding! Too funny...

My last experience at a Super 8 (Washington DC, May '07) was similar. The room was dark and filthy -- one of those places where you get the heebie-jeebies using the shower. The complimentary breakfast was stale mini-bagels, frozen cream cheese packets and an awful, sugary orange punch. The coffee was worse than airline coffee. At least they didn't try to pull a bait-and-switch on the rate. I'll never stay at another Super 8 again.

Of the cheap motels, I think Motel 6 is the safest. They're controlled by a French conglomerate, Accor, and I think they must ride the franchisees pretty hard to maintain the brand image. I stayed in a Motel 6 in Utah last fall and it was fine. Room was clean, everything worked, and the staff was friendly.

In my experience (airline pilot, so I travel a lot), your best bet it to stick with chains like Hampton Inn or La Quinta. They're both generally in the sub-$100/night range, they're clean and comfortable, they have free wireless internet, and both have excellent free breakfast buffets.

Steer clear of "premium" hotel brands like Doubletree, Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot, etc. The rooms are no better than "lesser" brands, but the prices are double, there's no free breakfast, and they nickel-and-dime you on everything else ($9.95/day for internet, $3 for a bottle of water, etc.).

Freddie -- best of luck.

-EP

Last edited by Eric Page; 06-29-2008 at 09:20 PM..