Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
[/IMG]

OK, here is a pic. Looks like possibly the casting that is the spinner has enough of a raised radius to force the push pin in as it rotates? It appears the pin jumped the threads at the highest section of the spinner??? OK NASA guys tell me what really happened..

Looking closely at the picture, The ears on the spinner bulge outward from the face with a nice radiused curve. The markings on the face indicate that it might be possible that the curving bulge of the knockoff ear, which is close to the level of the retaining pin, caught the pin and forced it down enough for the spinner to slide over it.

Blow up the pic and look at the mark thet spirals inward from the bulge of the knockoff ear at 12:00 o'clock. It starts at the height of the top of the pin and it works its way down to the edge of the center hole beneath the ear at 5:00 o'clock. If this mark was made by the pin rubbing against the turning spinner, that may be a telling clue.

Barring a failure of the spring pin itself or the spinner starting off on top of the pin (which Murphy has assured us it didn't), that is the only way I see the pin depressing enough to allow the spinner to pass.

EDIT: The more I study the pic the more convinced I am that that spinner design is not safe with the spring pin arrangement. Look at the spinner in the other picture on page 1. The pin rides on the flat of the raised bevel around the center hole. The bulge of the ears on Murphy's spinner can definitely contact the pin and force it downward.

If I am reading the picture correctly, this will happen again with that type of spinner.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 07-02-2008 at 08:38 AM..