View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Well, how timely.
Just tonight I found myself trapped in the gridlock that was Addison's Kaboom Town. Thought I could cruise it without getting sucked in.
Under a watchful eye, the temps and pressures went to the top, but not overboard. I finally found a closed big-box retailer and scooted through the parking lot to a cross street where I could go way around the jammed traffic. Upon getting to said street, maintaining 45 mph and 2000rpm to cool the now vapor-locking monster down, my rear view mirror lit up like noon-time day. Dallas' finest.
They said they pulled me over because I was "hot rodding" through the parking lot, then traveling too fast in a 40. Correct on all accounts, sir. I asked if I could raise the hood because the car was really overheating and vapor-locking, no problemo. After running my DL, they returned with "Is this a real Shelby?" I explained it was a Superformance and showed them how they could tell the difference. They seemed interested so I let it go. They asked how fast I've ever had it, I explained, "around 151 showing off with my little brother and I've been to Hallett Raceway in Tulsa." Never connecting the two, mind you, but telling the story just that way. They commented it must be a thrill to have a car like that handle at 150 on the track, to which I answered, "sure must be."
They told me I had a beautiful car, to keep it in control and to have a good holiday. I bid them the same.
Note: My current registration and inspection is on stickers in the glove box. I have a replica 1965 sticker on the windshield and my wipers on in a box in the garage, my tires say "for racing use only. Not for highway use" and they never even blinked.
I'd like to thank them for that.
I was caught in a gridlock, shot through a parking lot to get to an alternate route and then went down said alternate to cool the motor. Fast with low rpm. Guilty as charged. High motor temps, high oil temps, only 27 psi of oil and vapor lock will get your attention too.
A well-noted note to self to do a better job of avoiding overcrowded known gridlock situations.
Have a safe and Happy 4th!