View Single Post
Old 10-03-2001, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     
Default Block weights

Jim-I investagated aluminum blocks before putting together the engine I have now. At that time the block was available to all. I chose to buy a vortec pump with the loot available at that time because we started to weigh 460 blocks in shop. I was amazed at the differances of weights of m.t. blocks with DVE blocks being the heavy weights a 245 lbs. My listing showed the aluminum block at 195 lbs. The 71 block in my beast weighed 208 lbs after most of the machine work was done. I later deflashed the block but didn't weigh it prior to assembly. The late thinwall blocks come in a 195 plus or minus but I ruled out the use of them for performance. All things considered 30 lbs (+ or -) is not much when you think about it, for the two grand + differance ya think?
My completed engine weighed 466 lbs minus headers, carb,supercharger and bracketry with a aluminum H2O pump and intake manifold. The aluminum blue thunder heads I use are a bit heavier than most others I am told to.
Cobra Ed had a thread on this subject on 9/7/01 on the all cobra talk forum. It was called , engine size and weights. I book marked that thread. The difference numbers I see between 385/FE'S is interesting stuff.
cobrashoch